Canucks debut new opening video at home opener

Global News

The hometown Canucks play their home opener game tonight at Rogers Arena against the Edmonton Oilers.

The game comes after the team took a spanking from the San Jose Sharks on the road on Thursday.

Alex Burrows will miss tonight’s game and likely the next couple weeks after taking a shot off the foot.

There’s been a lot of changes over the past year to the team, including the new coach John Tortorella.

Canucks fans are anxious to see how the team responds.

The Canucks also debuted a new video and light show tonight. The new video tells the story of the team’s “changing identity,” according to its creators.

The video was produced by Rossland, B.C. based “Juicy Studios” with music by a Victoria-based composer.

See it here:

The team is also competing with the Lions and Whitecaps this weekend, with both of those teams having home games.

Canucks are…

View original post 56 more words

Advertisements

Mayweather Dominates Alvarez For Easy Decision Win

CBS New York

LAS VEGAS (CBSNewYork/AP) — Floyd Mayweather Jr. always puts his money where his mouth is, and Canelo Alvarez proved nothing more than easy money for Mayweather.

Mayweather turned one of the richest fights ever into just another $41.5 million payday Saturday night, dominating Alvarez from the opening bell and winning a majority decision in a masterful performance that left no doubt who the best fighter of his era is.

Fighting off his shortest layoff in years, Mayweather was sharp, efficient and sometimes brutal in dismantling an unbeaten fighter who was bigger and was supposed to punch harder. He frustrated Alvarez early, pounded him with big right hands in the middle rounds, and made him look just like he said he would — like any other opponent.

Mayweather was favored 117-111 and 116-112 on two ringside scorecards while a third inexplicably had the fight 114-114. The Associated Press scored it…

View original post 904 more words

Canucks opening ticket sale weekend off to a good start as team prepares to host every team in the NHL

can

Global News

Vancouverites might still be basking in September sunshine, but the hockey season is upon us.

Canucks’ pre-season opens with a home game against San Jose Sharks in just a week’s time on September 16.

And for the first time in over a decade, Canucks are set to host every team in the league.

But, after a lackluster performance in the shortened season last year, a coach change and controversial goalie trade, will the fans tune back in?

If this weekend’s opening ticket sale is anything to judge by, the answer is yes.

The ticket sale officially kicked off this Saturday, and Kingsley Bailey, the manager of ticket retailer Vancouverticket.com, says it was “very brisk.”

The big ticket item on this year’s schedule is the November 2nd game against Maple Leafs, during which the Canucks will retire Pavel Bure’s No.10 jersey.

“The Toronto Maple Leafs game really did not need…

View original post 480 more words

Argentina eliminates Canada from FIBA tournament

canada

Global News

CARACAS, Venezuela – Canada will have to settle for international experience instead of a berth at the 2014 Basketball World Cup.

The men’s team lost 73-67 to Argentina at the FIBA Americas Championship on Sunday, ruining Canada’s chances of qualifying for one of two spots at the World Cup.

For head coach Jay Triano, Canada’s downfall was in his young team’s relative inexperience at the international level.

“Our three best players are 22, 22 and 23 years old,” said Triano, referencing Cory Joseph, Tristan Thompson and Andrew Nicholson. “We’re going up against men who have played this game for a long time and have played at a high level for a long time.

“That’s why we’re here. We’re here to get the experience and play against these guys so when we’re that age, we can compete at the same level and understand the game that much better.”

Joseph had 19…

View original post 195 more words

Serena Williams wins women’s title at U.S. Open

uso220-98_2013_194920_high1

Global News

NEW YORK – Fussing with her skirt and flubbing her shots, Serena Williams was troubled in the U.S. Open final by the swirling air and the strong play of Victoria Azarenka.

After one miss, Williams declared, “I can’t play in this wind.” After blowing a big lead and dropping the second set, Williams chucked her racket toward the sideline, and it bounced back onto the court.

In the end, Williams pulled herself together, as she usually does when it matters the most. Facing her only test of the past two weeks, the No. 1-seeded Williams overcame No. 2 Azarenka 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-1 on Sunday for a fifth championship at Flushing Meadows and second in a row.

Williams, who turns 32 on Sept. 26, raised her Grand Slam singles title count to 17, the sixth-most in history and one shy of Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert. Williams collected a $3.6…

View original post 1,040 more words

Former New England Patriot Hernandez pleads not guilty to murder indictment

hernandez-4201

Global News

Watch: Aaron Hernandez arraigned on charge of first-degree murder of Odin Lloyd.

FALL RIVER, Mass. – Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez pleaded not guilty to a first-degree murder charge Friday following his indictment in the killing of a friend authorities say was shot five times in an industrial park.

Hernandez firmly answered “not guilty” to six charges, including murder and weapons and ammunition possession charges.

His attorneys agreed that Hernandez, 23, will continue to be held without bail, but reserved the right to request bail later. His next court hearing was set for Oct. 9.

Defence attorney Charles Rankin said outside the courthouse that Hernandez’s legal team is confident the ex-Patriot will be exonerated during a trial. “Not one shred of evidence has been presented yet,” he said.

READ MORE: DA says claim by Hernandez defence lawyers is untrue

The arraignment “is like the opening kickoff,” Rankin said…

View original post 571 more words

Luongo admits it’s strange to be back training with Canucks teammates

roberto-luongo

Global News

VANCOUVER – The goaltender who thought he had played his last game with the Vancouver Canucks was back skating with his old teammates Friday.

Roberto Luongo, who spent all of last season expecting to be traded, admitted that it was strange to be back in Vancouver wearing a Canucks sweater again.

“It was a bit odd flying in,” Luongo said after training with several Canucks at the University of British Columbia. “Just when you think you’ve seen it all, there’s always something else. I don’t know what the future holds but right now I’m just focused on the season.”

Luongo dodged the question of whether he’s happy to remain a member of the Canucks.

“I’ve said all along I want to play,” he said. “Now I have that opportunity.

“I want to take advantage of that and I want to win some games. I want to go as far as…

View original post 882 more words

Usain Bolt to retire from sprinting after 2016 Olympics

wtf264-810_2013_205711_high

Global News

BRUSSELS, Belgium – Usain Bolt says he plans to retire from the sport after the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

Bolt says he wants to win gold in Rio, set another world record in the 200 metres next year, and perhaps win a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.

Bolt says “I think it will be a good time to retire, on top and just been dominating for so long.”

After winning another three golds at the world championships in Moscow, Bolt will run his final race this season in the 100 at Friday’s Van Damme Memorial.

Bolt says “if I want to be among the greats of (Muhammad) Ali and Pele and all these guys I have to continue dominating until I retire.”

View original post

Bale joins Real Madrid in world-record transfer

Global News

LONDON – After the year’s most drawn-out transfer saga, it’s finally official: Gareth Bale is a Real Madrid player.

Madrid announced Sunday that Bale has signed a six-year contract, and a person familiar with the deal said the fee was a world-record 100 million euros ($132 million). The person spoke on condition of anonymity because financial details are not being disclosed.

“I am not sure there is ever a good time to leave a club where I felt settled and was playing the best football of my career to date,” Bale said in a statement published on the Tottenham website. “I know many players talk of their desire to join the club of their boyhood dreams, but I can honestly say, this is my dream come true.”

Bale will be paraded at Madrid’s stadium on Monday after undergoing a medical examination.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas said earlier in the week…

View original post 822 more words

‘Ossie’ Schectman dies, scored NBA’s first basket

nba

Global News

Oscar “Ossie” Schectman, the former New York Knicks guard who scored the first basket in NBA history nearly seven decades ago, died Tuesday. He was 94.

Schectman’s son Peter confirmed his father’s death, which was also announced by the Knicks. Peter Schectman said his father did not have a prolonged illness and succumbed after developing complications related to respiratory failure.

“Ossie Schectman was a true NBA pioneer,” NBA Commissioner David Stern said, adding that scoring the league’s first basket “placed him permanently in the annals of NBA history.”

Schectman scored the opening basket of a game in what was then known as the BAA on Nov. 1, 1946 for the Knicks against the Toronto Huskies, a layup after cutting down the centre of the lane. The Knicks wound up winning that game at Toronto’s Maple Leaf Gardens 68-66, and Schectman went on to average 8.1 points that season, his only…

View original post 433 more words